No one can deny the fact that Windows is the most used operating system, nowadays. The users are usually satisfied with the performance and features of Microsoft Windows but sometimes, they may face issues like while login into Windows, they may see a flickering screen. It is like Windows background is going black after refresh; it will come back to the normal background, then again back to going black.
You must be wondering what must be happening and why such. The answer is Explorer is crashing and restarting. Actually, anyone whoever is running Office setup 365 or 2016, build 16.0.7668.2066, which has released the production to a small group of customers and Microsoft Office setup 365 or 2016 build 16.0.7668.2074 is available and contains a fix.
The solution to this issue is to update Office setup to the new version. As the screen is flashing, the user needs to update it using the command line and for that internet connection is needed.
Please note- The steps for Windows 7 are same but the screenshots will look different.
Check out the steps as listed to fix the issue for Windows 10
- Click on the ‘Task Manager’ option or Ctrl+Shift+Esc keys.
- If possible, select the down arrow at the bottom of the dialog box, to see ‘More Details’.
- Click the ‘File’ option in the ‘Task Manager’ page.
- Select the ‘Run’ option, to run the new task.
- In the Create new task, type in the box ‘cmd’ and check further the box for creating this task with the administrative privileges.
- Press the bottom’ Enter’ or click on the option ‘Ok’ to bring up a command prompt.
- A new Window will open, titled ‘Administrator: c: \windows\system32\cmd.exe’.
- In the cmd.exe window and type the following and press the ‘Enter’ button:
“For/r “%ProgramFiles(x86)%\ Microsoft Office\root”%i in (GROOVEEX.*) do ren”%i”*.bad
9. If the flashing hasn’t stopped yet in the cmd.exe window. Type the following and press the button ‘Enter’ (You can’t skip this step if the flashing hasn’t yet stopped.)
“For /r “%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\root” %i in (GROOVEEX.*) do ren “%i” *.bad “
If the flashing is making it difficult to type in the command, then the user needs to start Windows in the Safe mode. After that, they need to enter the command by following the steps as listed below-
- They need to press ‘Ctrl + Alt+ Delete’ keys from the keyboard.
- Hold on to the ‘Shift’ key down and select the ‘power’ icon.
- Choose the ‘Restart’ option in the lower right of the screen.
- Click on the ‘Troubleshoot’ option, followed by ‘Advanced’ options.
- Select the option ‘Startup Settings’ and click on the option ‘Restart’.
- After the PC gets restart, select the option ‘Enable Safe mode’ with the Command prompt.
- In the cmd.exe window, type the following (including the starting”) and press the button ‘Enter’.
To update Office setup, follow this path- “C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun\officec2rclient.exe” /update USER ForceAppShutdown=True”